CMS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Please click the link below for detailed information on all the diagnosis coding changes that start 10-1-2023.
The 2024 ICD-10-CM code set update adds 395 new codes, deletes 25 existing codes, and revises 22 codes (nine of which are to the short title only). There are also 131 new headers and four revised headers.
The major changes in the 2024 ICD-10-CM code set include:
- The addition of 5 new codes for Parkinson's disease.
- The addition of 34 new codes for diseases of the eye and adnexa.
- The addition of 36 new codes for diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue.
- The addition of 22 new codes and six revisions in the congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99) chapter.
- The addition of 30 new codes to and six invalidated from the factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00-Z99) chapter.
- The addition of a code for reporting a child welfare exam (Z02.84).
- The addition of two codes under Z05.8 Observation and evaluation of newborn for other specified suspected condition ruled out.
- The creation of a new code for identifying resistance to carbapenem (Z16.13).
- The addition of new Z22.34- codes for reporting carriers of other specified bacterial diseases.
Here are some additional resources where you can learn more about the 2024 ICD-10-CM code set update:
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS): https://www.cms.gov/medicare/coding-billing/icd-10-codes/2024-icd-10-cm
- American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC): https://www.aapc.com/blog/88401-get-a-jump-on-diagnosis-code-changes-for-fy-2024/
- Wolters Kluwer: https://www.wolterskluwer.com/en/expert-insights/2024-icd10-code-updates
Are you looking for a medical billing company to help you maximize your reimbursement so you can build a successful practice? Call us at (708)362-6080 or email us at email@example.com to set up a free consultation!